Friday, September 20, 2013

James 1:2



Πᾶσαν -  noun accusative singular “all”.. The word here can refer to intensity (great, all, pure, utmost, greatest) or exclusivity (all, nothing but joy).  I think intensity makes more sense here.  This is a common use in the NT. although it is different than the way we usually translate this word “all”.  Here is how  this use is classified in BDAG  ③ marker of the highest degree of someth., all
ⓐ as adj. w. a noun in the sing. without the art. full, greatest, all
I would prefer to translate it with a word that can be taken either intensely or with the usual understanding of all, but at this time I can’t really think of a good english word that has a similar range of meaning.  I was considering using the term complete, but I think that causes more confusion, because of possible confusion with the normal Greek word for complete.. which I think is a theologically important word.


χαρὰν - noun accusative singular  “joy”


ἡγήσασθε -   aorist middle imperative 2nd person plural fro ἡγέομαι   (BAG def. 2) “to engage in an intellectual process, think, consider, regard”.  This verb is deponent. I think a common translation for this verb in James is “consider”.  I’m not totally comfortable with using that word, but I couldn’t think of a better one… the word “think” was a possibility, but I would have had to add too many words to the sentence to make it flow in english




ἀδελφοί -  ‘brothers” noun vocative plural.  The expression brothers could very easily be rendered “brothers and sisters’.  If I was doing this translation for others I would wrestle with the decision as to whether to translate it brothers or brothers and sisters.  My problem with brothers and sisters is that it adds the conjunction and makes the one word into three words.  I still think of brothers as including females… I know english language has changed a bit and some people don’t naturally think of it as including females.  To me the term brothers and sisters makes it sound like a bit of stress on the including of sisters in his language instead of the tenders relationship that James is seeking to stress.  Therefore since this translation is for me and since I automatically (perhaps due to the fact of being around this type of language in Bibles I have read) read this as inclusive I will (with a note) stick with the term brothers knowing that it means people of both sexes.  I think the decision as to how to translate ἀδελφοs is a contextual decision and can vary from passage to passage.


μου -, “of me “gen. singular this is a genitive of relationship


ὅταν - “whenever” conjunction, adverbial temporal


πειρασμοῖς -  each of these next three words begins with the same greek letter.  I wish I could copy this in my english translation.  this word is a noun dative plural masc.  This greek word can either mean a test or trial to learn the character of something or a temptation or trial to attempt to lead someone or something to wrongdoing..  This noun is in the locative because the verb begs the question where?


περιπέσητε - This verb can refer to ① to move toward someth. and hit against it, strike or ② to encounter at hazard, fall in with, fall into



I really like the use of this verb in Acts 27:41  “But striking a reef, they ran the vessel aground. The bow stuck and remained immovable, and the stern was being broken up by the surf.” Even though the emphasis of the verb is different Acts 27:41 refers to striking, hitting something and in our verse the emphasis seems to be with “falling into, encounter”.  I can’t help but imagine how many people have fallen into temptation and given into the temptation and shipwrecked (as happened to the boat) their faith.  As for the translation I am going to go with a phrase “come up against.  I think this kind of fits with both nuances of this word…The root word for this compound verb means to fall so I’m tempted (ha) to use fall into… but I think the english fall in this translation sort of gives the implication of failing… so I’m going to go with “come up against” instead.
this verb is in the subjunctive.. the use of the subjunctive (according to Wallace) is subjunctive in indefinite temporal clause.  “the subjunctive is frequently used after the temporal conjunction with the meaning whenever.  It indicates a future contingency from the perspective of the time of the main verb..   
this is a  verb aorist active subj. 2nd person plural.



ποικίλοις…  adj. dative plural masc.  this adjective is in a strange position, it is after the noun it modifies, separated by the verb… this seems to draw attention to it.  the word means “pert. to existence in various kinds or modes, diversified, manifold’.


Here is my (somewhat final) translation:

James 1:2
My Brothers(1)  consider it great (2) joy, whenever you come up against (3) various kinds of trials.

1 or “My brothers and sisters”

2 I’m hesitant to translate it great, because this is a bit interpretive, it could be left as all, but I think this gives the false impression of considering everything joyful instead of the sense of degree of joy that I  think James might mean. although I think this concept is stated later in the verse by having “great joy” in all sorts of trials,

3 Literally "fall into".. I thought 'fall into" gave the possible negative connotation of failure, in the moral sense.. where I think the idea expressed in this verse is more likely fall into situations where you will encounter trials/ temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment